Автор неизвестен - Module 4 icao structure - страница 1
MODULE 4 ICAO STRUCTURE
Look through and remember the following words.
VOCABULARY Contracting States - країни, що домовляються; terms of the Convention - умови Конвенції; limited membership - обмежене членство; chief officers - головні офіційні особи; subordinate body - підпорядкований орган; Secretary General - генеральний секретар; sovereign body - суверенний орган; to review the work - аналізувати роботу; to set policy - визначати політику; coming years - наступні роки; triennial budget - бюджет на три роки; governing body - урядовий орган; contribution - внесок; to be incorporated - бути включеним; in order that - для того, щоб;
Read and remember.
International Council of Aircraft Owner and Pilot Associations -Міжнародна рада асоціацій власників повітряних суден та пілотів
International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations - Міжнародна федерація асоціацій лінійних пілотів
International Maritime Organization - Міжнародна морська організація
World Health Organization - Всесвітня організація охорони здоров'я
World Meteorological Organization - Всесвітня метеорологічна організація (ВМО)
Universal Postal Union (UPb) - Всесвітній поштова спілка Council Member States країни-члени Ради.
International Standards and Recommended Practices - Міжнародні
стандарти та рекомендовані практики
Air Navigation Commission - Аеронавігаційна комісія
Air Transport Committee - Комітет з повітряних перевезень
Committee of Joint Support of Air Navigation Services - Комітет
спільного фінансування аеронавігаційного обслуговування
Finance Committee - Фінансовий комітет
Air Navigation Bureau - Аеронавігаційне управління
Air Transport Bureu - Авіатранспортне управління
Technical Co-operation Bureau - Управління технічного
Legal Bureau - Юридичне управління
Bureau of Administration and Services - Адміністративно-господарське управління.
Read the text.
The constitution of ICAO is the Convention on International Civil Aviation, drawn up by a conference in Chicago in November and December 1944, and to which each ICAO Contracting State is a party: According to the terms of the Convention, the Organization is made up of an Assembly, a Council of limited membership with various subordinate bodies and a Secretariat. The chief officers are the President -of the Council and the Secretary General..
The Assembly, composed of representatives from all Contracting States, is the sovereign body of ICAO. It meets every three years, reviewing in detail the work of the Organization and setting policy for the coming years. It also votes a triennial budget.
The Council, the governing body which is elected by the Assembly for a three-year term, is composed of 33 States. The Assembly chooses the Council Member States under three headings: States of chief importance in air transport. States which make the largest contribution to the
provision of facilities for air navigation, and States whose designation will ensure that all major areas of the world are represented. As the governing body, the Council gives continuing direction to the work of ICAO. It is in the Council that Standards and Recommended Practices are adopted and incorporated as Annexes to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. The Council is assisted by the Air Navigation Commission (technical matters), the Air Transport Committee (economic matters), the Committee on Joint Support of Air Navigation Services and the Finance Committee.
The Secretariat, headed by a Secretary General, is divided into five main divisions: the Air Navigation Bureau, the Air Transport Bureau, the Technical Co-operation Bureau, the Legal Bureau, and the Bureau of Administration and Services. In order that the work of the Secretariat shall reflect a truly international approach, professional personnel are recruited on a broad geographical basis.
ICAO works in close co-operation with other members of the United Nations family such as the World Meteorological Organization, the International Telecommunication Union, the Universal Postal Union, the World Health Organization and the International Maritime Organization. Non-governmental organizations which also participate in ICAO's work include the International Air Transport Association, the Airports Council International, the International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations, and the International Council of Aircraft Owner and Pilot Associations.
PARTS OF SPEECH
1. Suffixes are used to form different parts of speech. Form derivative nouns with the help of the suffixes -tion, -sion, -ment, ance. Translate the nouns.
to elect - election - выборы
to represent to incorporate
to adopt to assist to divide
to reflect to recruit to include
2. Form adjectives with the help of the suffix -ive. Translate the adjectives.
a) to elect
b) to represent
c) to adopt
d) to reflect
e) to include elective - выборный
3. How much of the chart below can you complete? Suffixes are used, but not always!
To assist To divide To choose To compose To recruit
4. Give the opposite of:
4) various -
5) subordinate -
6) important -
7) large -
8) to assist -
9) to divide-
10) legal -
11) health -
13) maritime -
14) to include -
15) work -
16) to elect -
5. Choose the preposition or no preposition (-) that best completes the phrase.
in, on, of, for, into, to, by, from
2) to be made up_ smth;
3) to be composed_smb or smth;
4) representatives_different countries;
5) Convention _International Civil Aviation;
6) to recruit_ a broad geographical basis;
7) to participate_smth;
8) to set policy_the coming years;
9) to vote_the budget;
10) to divide_several divisions;
11) to be assisted_smb.
6. Choose the article (a, the) or no article (-) that best completes the sentence. Translate the sentences.
1) I must let_fresh air in_here.
2) In_summer children should spend_ lot of_time in
_ open air.
3) _traveling by_air is _fastest way to travel.
4) One can't live on_air.
5) Springs is in_air.
6) She works for_BBC and is on_air twice_week.
7) _Council is assisted by_^4ir Navigation Services and
8) I don't like him, he puts on_airs.
9) He entered the room with_ air importance.
10) I don't believe you. That's all_hot air.
11) Nobody can find him. He vanished into_thin air.
12) Oh, Billy, I'm so happy. I'm walking upon_air.
7. Here is a crosswordfor you to try!
2. Act of meeting
3. Specially appointed body
7. Joining together
8. Status of a member
9. Smb. who takes part in smth
10. Driver of an aircraft
11. Harmony op action
12. Chief executive
13. Addition to a publication
15. Organ of power
8. There are 20 verbs in the text. Write them out and define the tense. Write the infinitive of the verb. Example:
is — Present Simple, third person singular, to be;
is made up - Present Simple Passive Voice, to be made up.
9. Fill in the chart. Write the Past Simple and the Past Participle forms of the irregular verbs next to the infinitive.
Regular verbs Irregular verbs
make - made - made
10. Words can combine to make new words. Fill in the spaces to make word combinations and compound nouns. Use the words from the article and your own ideas
CLASSES OF VERBS
11. Divide the sentences into four groups : sentences in which the verb "to be" is used as:
a) an auxiliary verb;
b) a link verb;
c) a modal verb;
d) a full verb;
Write the number of the sentence and the variant you choose.
1) When is the Assembly to meet?
2) The Convention was drawn up in 1944.
3) The Chicago Convention is the main legislative basis fir the development of International Civil Aviation.
4) ICAO is an organization.
5) The headquarters of ICAO are in Montreal, Canada.
6) Have you ever been to Chicago?
7) The Secretariat is divided into five main divisions.
8) Is the Assembly the sovereign body of ICAO?
9) Where were the representatives from?
10) The Council Member States are to contribute to the provision of facilities for air navigation.
12. Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense, active or passive.
The International Civil Aviation Organization_(to find) in
1944 at the Conference of 52 countries, which_(to hold) in
Chicago. The Conference _(to adopt) the Convention on
International Civil Aviation which _ (to become) the main
legislative basis for the development of the International Civil Aviation.
Part П of the Chicago Convention _ (to describe) the
principles of ICAO structure and operations. The countries, members of ICAO,_(to call) Contracting States. The highest legislative
power_(to belong) to the Assembly which_
(to meet) every two years and representatives of aviation authorities
of all Contracting States_(to take part) as equal active voting
participants. In the period between Assemblies the highest executive
power_(to be) in the hands of the Council which_(to heat)
by the President.
The Secretary General _ (to manage) the daily work of the
B-GROUP EXERCISES TITLES
1. Put the titles from the text into the correct columns.
Representative bodies of ICAO
Organizations-members of the United Nations family ICAO cooperate with
Non-governmental organizations that participate in ICAO's work
WORDS THAT GO TOGETHER
2. Match a line in A with a line in B.
A І В
3. Match the words in A (all of them are from the text) with a phrase which is nearest in meaning.
A I B
period of time
course of action
way by which a place is reached
person in authority
that which advances something
provision, as of a contract
organ of power
way of doing things
agreement between nations
1. Complete the sentences. The Convention
is drawn up by ... in ... in .
is composed ... meets ... reviews ... votes ... chooses .
is headed . is elected . is composed . gives . is assisted .
is headed . is divided .
2. What do the following numbers refer to?
3, 33, 3, 1994, 3, 5, 3.
3. Change the following sentences, active to passive, passive to active.
a) The Convention was drawn up by a conference in Chicago in 1944.
b) The Council is elected by the Assembly for a three-year term.
c) The Assembly sets policy of the Organization.
d) The Secretariat is headed by the Secretary General.
e) The Assembly chooses the Council Member States.
f) The Assembly reviews in detail the work of the Organization.
4. Put as many questions to the sentences as you can.
a) ICAO works in close co-operation with other members of the United Nations family.
b) The chief officers are the President of the Council and the Secretary General.
1. Read the text Fill in the gaps with one of the words from the box.
matters, facilities, areas, development, safety, importance, duties, term, permanent, direction, investigate, contribution, an arbiter, representation, implementation, navigation
The Council is a (a)_body responsible to the Assembly and
is composed of 33* Contracting States elected by the Assembly for a
three-year (b)_. In the election, adequate (c) is
given to States of chief (d)_in air transport. States not
otherwise included which make the largest (e) _to the
provision of facilities for civil air (f)_ and States not
otherwise included whose designation will insure that all the major geographic (g)_of the world are represented on the Council.
The Council, the Air Navigation Commission, the Air Transport Committee, the Committee on Joint Support of Air Navigation Services
and the Finance Committee, provide the continuing (h)_ of
the work of the Organization. One of the major (i)_of the
Council is to adopt International Standards and Recommended Practices and to incorporate these as Annexes to the Convention on International
Civil Aviation. The Council may act as (j)_between
Contracting States on (k) _ concerning aviation, which
presents avoidable obstacles to the development of international air navigation, and, in general, it may take whatever steps are necessary to
maintain the (1) _and regularity of operation of international
2.1 Read the text.
Corresponding to each ICAO Committee and Division is a section of the ICAO Secretariat made up of staff members selected for technical competence in their respective fields, which supplies technical and administrative aid to the governmental representatives who make up the ICAO Council, committee and divisions. The Secretariat is headed by a Secretary General who is appointed by the Council. It is divided into five main divisions: the Air Navigation Bureau, the Air Transport Bureau, the Technical Assistance Bureau, the Legal Bureau, and the Bureau of Administration and Sevices.
In order that the work of the Secretariat shall reflect a truly international approach, senior personnel are recruited on a broad geographical basis. In addition to the regular staff the services of experts are obtained from time to time by loan or secondment from Contracting States while clerical or secretarial employees are generally recruited locally in the areas where the Organization has offices.
2.2 Put questions to the underlined words.
2.3 Translate the text in writing.
3. Speak on: "The Assembly", "The Council", "The Secretariat".
4. Tell about the representative bodies of ICAO (Use the chart).
AIR NAVIGATION COMMISSION
ASSEMBLY of all Contracting States
AIR TRANSPORT COMMITTEE
COMMITTEE ON JOINT SUPPORT OF
PRESIDENT elected by Council
Q.1 Two of the main bodies of ICAO are the Assembly and the Council.
Name one (1) other body.
Q2. One of the chief officers of ICAO is the President of the Council. Name one (1) other.
Q3. The Council is assisted by the Air Navigation Commission. List six (6) Committees the Council is assisted by.
Q4. How often does the Assembly meet?
Tick (V) the right answer, cross (x) two others.
a) every year
b) every three years
c) every five years
Q5. One of the reasons for the Assembly to meet is reviewing in detail the work of the Organization. Give two (2) other reasons.
Q6. One of the heading under which the Assembly chooses the Council Member States is "States of chief importance in air transport".
List two (2) others headings.
Q7. The Secretariat is divided into five divisions. List them.
TOTAL POSSIBLE MARKS = 100 PASS MARK = 70 %